||Mr. Ahmed R Ahmed BSc(Hons) FRCS (Gen)
Consultant Surgeon – GI, Bariatric and Laparoscopic surgery
- Consultant Surgeon at Charing Cross Hospital, Imperial College London.
- Set up and heads the bariatric and metabolic surgery unit at Charing Cross Hospital, Imperial College London which is now a leading unit in the UK designated as a NHS preferred provider as well as being an International Bariatric Surgery Centre of Excellence by the ASMBS.
- Clinical Lead - Bariatric Surgery, Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust
- Director of Surgery and co-founder Total Weight Solutions Ltd.
- Prior to Consultant appointment, extensive training in Laparosopic Surgery in UK and US, undertaken more than 2000 surgical procedures, majority were performed laparoscopically
- US Fellowship training in Minimally Invasive Surgery and Bariatric Surgery 2005-6; Mr Ahmed has performed over 2000 laparoscopic bariatric procedures (including over 1300 gastric bypasses, and a number of revision bariatric surgery operations which are considered to be amongst the most technically challenging operations)
- 8-10 obesity operations performed per week at present; 5-10 other laparoscopic operations (gallbladder, hernias, GI) performed per week.
- University College London and Middlesex Hospital School of Medicine
- Bachelor of Science in Pharmacology – 1st class Honours degree
- Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery M.B.B.S. with Distinctions
- United States Medical Licensing Examinations Steps 1,2 and 3
- Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons of England F.R.C.S (Gen)
- Chartered Management Institute - Diploma in Management
- PhD in bariatric surgery mechanisms of complications – Imperial College London (ongoing)
- The General Medical Council (No: 4305462)
- Obesity (Bariatric) Surgery, Laparoscopic Surgery & General Surgery.
- Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons of England
- Royal Society of Medicine – Member of Council (Clinical Section)
- British Medical Association (BMA)
- American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery (ASMBS)
- Society of American Gastroenterological and Endoscopic Surgeons (SAGES)
- Association of Upper GI Surgeons (AUGIS)
- British Obesity Surgery Society (BOSS)
National and International Committees:
- Allergan UK Surgical Advisory Board
- The Wellcome Trust Technology Transfer Panel
- The Wellcome Trust Grant Review Committee
- The ASMBS (American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery) International Development Committee
- The SRC International Bariatric Surgery Centres of Excellence Review Committee
- The BOMS (British Obesity Surgery Society) Committee on (i) International Affairs and (ii) New Technologies
- Covidien European Surgical Energy Device Advisory Board
Private Hospital Visiting Rights:
- Consultant Surgeon and Senior Lecturer, Charing Cross Hospital, Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust, Imperial College London
- Director of Surgery – Total Weight Solutions Ltd.
- Member of Council (Clinical Section), Royal Society of Medicine, London
Particular interests are:
- The Cromwell Hospital, Cromwell Road, London
- Charing Cross Hospital (Private Patients Wing), Fulham Palace Road, London.
- Laparoscopic Gastric Bypass Surgery for Obesity
- Lap Band Surgery for Obesity
- Laparoscopic Gallbladder Surgery
- Laparoscopic Hernia Surgery
- Laparoscopic Sleeve Gastrectomy for Obesity
- Laparoscopic Antireflux Surgery
to find out more about Mr. Ahmed's academic
interests (publications, abstracts, teaching and training)